Oct 10, 2013

Homemade Honey Cornbread



Find it on Pinterest

Cook’s Note: I am from the South and as such, I was craving corn bread one evening and searched for a recipe that looked easy, but yummy. I didn’t want to have to do it in a cast iron skillet because ironically I don’t have one. Now, why would a girl from the south not have a cast iron skillet you ask? Well, I am a bit intimidated by them. The whole “having to season it” thing sort of frightens me.

Anyway…….. I found this recipe that was baked in the oven, didn’t have oil or buttermilk and seemed semi-healthy. I have to say that the original recipe was just OK. I have tried it again and modified the recipe to add more honey and yogurt, to give it a little more sweetness and moistness – the original recipe just didn’t do it for me.


What You Will Need:


1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup milk

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 egg

1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Directions:


Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, use a fork or whisk and mix together the dry ingredients and slowly add liquid ingredients and still well. Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake for about 40 minutes.

Great cooking tip you can always use ……be sure to check the corn bread with a toothpick and if it comes out clean, you will know it's done! I always check in the middle because that is where cakes/breads have a tendency to be “not done”.

Let cool for about 10-15 minutes then cut into squares, serve warm, preferable with honey butter! This would be a great side to any chili or soup!
 
This "Pinspiration" comes from Simply Homemade

No comments :